You are at the head of a group of adventurers. Unfortunately, the island you are on is about to disappear under water. Your mission will then be to save as many members of your group as possible.
The Goal of the Game
Evacuate your adventurers to other safe islands.
- 1 Game board
- 40 Terrain tiles: 16 beaches, 16 forests, 8 mountains
- 40 Explorer tokens of 4 different colors
- 16 Creature tokens: 5 Sea Serpents, 6 Sharks, 5 Whales
- 12 Ship tokens
- 1 Creature die
- 1 Rulebook
- Place the Sea Serpent tokens on the corresponding spaces.
- Form an island by mixing the Terrain tiles and placing them, face up, and randomly on the marked spaces.
- Choose a color and receive 10 corresponding Explorer and 2 Ship tokens.
- The first player will be drawn randomly.
- An Explorer token is numbered from 1 to 6. Look at it secretly. Once the game has started, you will be able to see it.
- Alternately and in a clockwise direction, place 1 Explorer on a deserted terrain, taking care not to reveal their number.
- Once all the Explorers are on the board, in turn, place 1 Ship token on a vacant Sea space adjacent to a Terrain space.
- Play until all Ships are placed.
How to Play the Game
- Use a Terrain tile
- A Terrain tile is obtained during one turn.
- Skip this step if you don’t have a tile in hand.
- Move your Explorers and Ships:
- You are allowed 3 moves.
- The goal will be to put your Explorers on a Ship and evacuate them to another island.
- An Explorer can:
- Be moved to an adjacent tile, from a Terrain to an adjacent Ship, or to a tile already occupied by another Explorer.
- Board an already occupied Ship.
- The maximum number of passengers per Ship is 3.
- It is forbidden to:
- Move the opponent’s tokens.
- Return to the island once you have left it.
- Move to a Sea space occupied by Creatures.
- An explorer on sea is a Swimmer.
- A Swimmer can board a Ship if they are on the same space.
- Moving onto a Sea space is worth 1 move.
- Any player can move an empty Ship.
- The player with the most tokens on a Ship controls it.
- If several players have the same numbers of tokens on a Ship (a tie), any one of them can move it.
- A Ship that moves onto a space occupied by a Sea Serpent, Shark or Whale is removed from play.
- A Sea space can only contain one Ship.
- Remove a Terrain tile:
- The Beach tiles are removed first, then the forests and finally the mountains.
- A Terrain is removed if it is surrounded by Sea spaces from all sides.
- A Terrain is removed if it’s the last Terrain of its type. (Example: If there is only 1 Beach tile available on the board, it must be removed.)
- An Explorer who is on a Terrain that gets removed becomes a Swimmer.
- Secretly take note of the reverse side of the removed tile.
- This reverse side of the tile can be played in 3 different ways and removed after use:
- Immediately (green outline): effect takes place immediately.
- At the start of your turn (red outline): to be placed face down in front of you until your next turn.
- During an opponent’s turn (red outline with a cross): to be used in defense.
- Rolling the Creature die:
- You may come across a Sea Serpent, a Shark or a Whale.
- You can use Creatures to attack enemy Explorers and to protect your own.
- They can all be placed on the same space.
- On the other hand, when placed on the same space as an occupied Ship or an Explorer, they produce certain effects.
|Movement||1 space||1 to 2 spaces||1 to 3 spaces|
|Empty Ship||No effect||No effect||No effect|
|Occupied Ship||Ship and Explorers are removed||No effect||Ship is removed and Explorers become Swimmers|
- If a Whale and a Shark end up on the same space as a Swimmer, the Swimmer is removed from the game.
Landing on a Safe Island
- Any island other than one you started on is considered safe.
- A Ship can land on one of the 2 spaces adjacent to an island.
- The Ship can be called elsewhere.
- Leaving the Ship costs 1 movement.
- Entering the island costs 1 movement.
- If before the end of the game, all of your Explorers are safe (on safe islands), continue playing, only skipping step 2.
End of the Game
- The volcano hidden under a Mountain tile is revealed.
- All Explorers who failed to leave the island disappear with it.
- Safe tokens are flipped and points are counted.
- The player with the most points wins the game.
Variations of the Game
- Before starting the game, the players pick 2 colors each.
- The Volcano only has an effect on adjacent tiles.
- The game ends when all the Explorers of a player land on the safe islands.
- The game ends when the last Terrain tile is removed.
- The winner is determined by the number of Explorers saved.
- You can place only 2 tokens on a Forest or a Mountain, and only 1 on the beach.
Official rules in PDF
Explore the official Survive: Escape From Atlantis rules in PDF.