Truth or Dare is a game that can be played with friends and family at any time of the day. The aim is simple: to propose questions or challenges to your friends, in order to spice up the evening. It’s a game for all ages, and requires no special skills.
Before you start
Sit down with the other players in a circle or around a table. You can take turns playing, or you can play in a more traditional way with a bottle in the middle.
If you play with a bottle, one player just has to spin it. The player who is at the other end of the bottle when it stops is the one who has to play. Once he or she has played, he or she can turn the bottle, and so on.
Start of the game
Is everyone settled in? Great!
The player to be designated will have to make a choice: action or truth.
- If he chooses action, one of the players at the table orders him to do something. This could be hopping on the spot, or acting crazy. The player must perform this action if he can. If not, the other players suggest another action
- If he chooses truth, a player asks him a question which he must answer by telling the truth. This is an opportunity for the others to reveal the most hidden secrets
The game continues until each player has completed at least one action and one truth.
Playing Truth or Dare with some variations can become more interesting. However, you should always keep in mind that it is a game.
- There is no need to do anything dangerous, too embarrassing or illegal.
- The best known version is the +18 version, where actions and truths can become very private, even naughty.
- Another variant allows the player to refuse to do an action or answer a truth, but against a possible punishment from the group.
- A final variant forces players to choose an action after a maximum of 3 truths in a row. This is to force the players to be more daring and not just answer questions.
End of the game
The game ends when all players are…. tired! Truth or Dare is a game that can be played for long periods of time, provided you have enough players to make it interesting. It can be a great way to get a jump on some boring evenings.