Takenoko is a management and organization game. You are one of the courtiers of the Emperor of Japan, who has just received a giant panda. Your role will be to cultivate plots of land, irrigate them and grow bamboo there to feed the animal, taking into account its appetite and the weather.
- 1 Pond plot
- 28 Plots
- 1 Deck of objectives cards
- 1 Emperor card
- 90 Sections of bamboo in 3 different colors
- 20 Irrigations channels
- 9 Improvements
- 4 individual sheets
- 8 Action tokens
- 1 Weather dice
- 1 Panda figure
- 1 Gardener figure
- 1 Rulebook
- Place the pond in the center of the table; place the panda and the gardener there.
- Place the plots face down on the table to form the draw pile.
- Place the facilities (irrigation channels and improvements) classified by type and the irrigations next to the draw pile.
- Set the Emperor card aside.
- Divide the objective cards by category and place them face down on the table.
- Give each player 1 individual sheet, 2 Action tokens and 1 objective card of each category.
- These items should not be seen by opponents.
- The tallest player starts the game.
- Play moves clockwise.
How to Play
Roll the weather die
- Skip this step on the first turn.
|Sun||1 additional action.It must be different from the 2 actions in step B.|
|Rain||1 section of bamboo on an irrigated plot.|
|Wind||You can perform the same action twice.|
|Storm||The panda is placed on a plot of your choice.The panda eats a section of bamboo.|
|Clouds||1 improvement chip.You can play it immediately.Or you can keep it on your individual sheet.It can be used during any round.If no improvement is available, apply the effect of your choice.|
|Question mark||Apply the effect of your choice.|
- There can only be one improvement chip per plot.
- The improvement may have been printed on it.
- or laid as a chip.
- It can only be placed on a plot without bamboo.
- It can be used for one turn only.
- The enclosure: the panda can’t eat bamboo.
- The fertilizer: the sections grow 2 by 2.
- The watershed: irrigates a plot, without replacing the pond tile.
Take actions and complete objectives
- You are limited to 2 different actions per turn.
- Place 1 token under each action you want to take:
- Place a plot:
- Draw 3 plots.
- Pick 1.
- Place the rest, face down, under the draw pile.
- Place the chosen plot.
– Either, place it adjacent to the pond,
– or, adjacent to 2 plots that are already placed there.
- A section of bamboo of the same color can be grown.
- For this, the plot must be irrigated. Either it:
– is adjacent to the pond,
– has a watershed improvement,
– has an irrigation channel.
- Laying an irrigation channel:
- Take 1 irrigation channel.
- You can use it immediately.
- Or you can place it on the individual card.
- The channels always start from the pond to bring the water to the plots.
- A channel is placed on one of the edges of a plot.
- The first time a plot is irrigated, place 1 section of bamboo on it.
- A channel can be placed between two plots that are edge to edge.
- In this case, it irrigates the 2 plots at the same time.
- The gardener:
- The gardener moves in a straight line by crossing as many squares as you wish.
- Place 1 bamboo section on the irrigated patch it lands on and the adjacent irrigated patches of the same color.
- A plot is limited to 4 sections of bamboo.
- Move the panda:
- The panda moves just like the gardener.
- Remove 1 section of bamboo from the patch where it stops.
- This will be placed on the individual sheet.
- Choose a new objective:
- Add 1 objective card to your hand.
- You are limited to 5 cards per hand.
Completing an objective
- As long as the conditions on a card are met, you may complete one or more objectives at any time during your turn.
- To do this, lay the card face up on the table.
- Create the configuration on the card.
- The plots in question must be irrigated.
- Grow the number of bamboo sections requested on a plot, respecting the improvement conditions on the card.
- Feed the panda with the bamboo sections on the card.
- Refer to your individual sheet to find out if the objective has been met.
- The sections of bamboo in question will then be returned to the reserve.
End of the Game
|Number of players||objectives to complete|
- The player who completes their last objective takes the Emperor card, which will earn them 2 additional points.
- That player can complete more objectives during this final round.
- At the end of the final round, the points earned by each completed objective card will be added up.
Winning the Game
- The player with the highest point is declared the winner.
- The objective cards that remain in hand do not count.
- In the event of a tie, the player with the most points on the panda objective cards wins.
Official rules in PDF
Explore the official Takenoko rules in PDF.