Stratego is a great strategy game for 2 players from 8 years old. If you like to play chess, then Stratego will certainly suit you too. Discover the rules of this game and that mStratego is a great strategy game for 2 players from 8 years old. If you like to play chess, then Stratego will certainly suit you too. Discover the rules of this game and may the best strategist win!
In a Stratego box you will find the following items:
-A game board
-80 pieces (40 red and 40 blue pieces)
-A wall card
The different counters in the game and their characteristics
Here is a list of the counters in Stratego, their values and special powers, from highest to lowest:
- The Marshal: value 10
Each player has one Marshal.
- The General: value 9
Each player has one General.
- The Colonels: value 8
Each player has 2 Colonels.
- The Commanders: value 7
Each player has 3 Commanders.
- Captains: value 6
Each player has 4 Captains.
- Lieutenants: value 5
Each player has 4 Lieutenants.
- Sergeants: value 4
Each player has 4 sergeants.
- Minesweepers: value 3
Each player has 5 Bomb Disposers. This is the only counter that has the power to attack a bomb and come out unscathed.
- Scouts: value 2
Each player has 8 Pathfinders. They have the power to move as many free spaces as they wish, but in a straight line.
- The Spy: value 1
Each player has one Spy. This is the only counter that has the power to attack a Marshal and come out on top.
There are 2 special counters in Stratego:
These counters are immobile throughout the game. All counters that attack a bomb will always end up being eliminated, except for the Bomb Disposers who have the ability to defeat them.
- The Flag
This is the most important piece in the game. If a player manages to catch his opponent’s flag by attacking it, the opponent wins the game. This piece is also immobile during the whole game.
- Place the game board in the middle of the table
- Each player chooses the colour of their pieces (red or blue)
- Place the wall card between the 2 middle lines of the board, so that each player can place their pieces secretly
- Each player places their 40 pieces in the first 40 spaces strategically and methodically
NB: As the flag is the most important piece, it must be well placed and well protected.
- The image and value of each piece must face its owner, so that the opponent cannot see it
- Remove the card and start playing
This is what the game board should look like before the actual game.
Aim of the game
In Stratego, each player has to do his best to get the flag of his opponent. The first player to get the other player’s flag wins.
How the game is played
- The player with the red pieces starts the game
- He must move a piece of his choice and then pass the turn to the next player
- The next player does the same and so on until one or the other manages to get the flag of his opponent
- It is forbidden to move into the 2 lakes in the centre of the board or to jump over them
- A piece may not jump over another piece, whether it is one of your own or an opponent’s piece
- PAWNS MUST ALWAYS MOVE ONLY ONE SQUARE AT A TIME, EXCEPT FOR SCOUTS
- Pieces must always move in a straight line, they are not allowed to move in a diagonal direction
Attacking and eliminating an opponent’s piece
To attack an opponent’s piece, you must move your piece into a square occupied by an opponent’s piece
✓ At this point, each player must reveal the image and value of their pawn
✓ The pawn with the lowest value will be eliminated and removed from the game board
Warning. If the 2 counters are of the same value, they will be eliminated and removed from the game board at the same time.
✓ Bombs can only be eliminated by Bomb Disposers
✓ The Marshal can only be eliminated by a Spy (if it is the Marshal who attacks the Spy, the Spy will be eliminated)
End of the game
When a player attacks an opponent’s piece and it turns out to be the flag, then the game ends. The winner will be the player who gets his opponent’s flag first.