Schotten Totten is a card and strategy game for 2 players. The aim of the game is to form the strongest combination of cards in order to claim a terminal. The goal of the game is to claim 5 terminals.
- 9 terminal tiles,
- 54 Clan cards of 6 different colours, numbered from 1 to 9,
- 10 Tactical cards,
- 2 game aids,
- 1 rule booklet.
Principle and purpose of the game
- You are part of a Scottish tribe.
- Each tribe is made up of several clans.
- Your goal is to claim 5 terminals.
- To do this, form the strongest combinations with your cards to beat your opponent.
- Line up the 9 Boundary tiles between you and your opponent. This is the border.
- Shuffle the Clan cards and form a deck, face down.
- Each player draws 6 Clan cards; this is their hand.
- Put the Tactics cards aside; they will not be used in a normal game.
- Deal 1 Player Aid card to each player.
- The player who has recently travelled to or near Scotland starts.
- Take turns playing.
How do you play?
- Choose a card from your hand and place it in front of a marker on your side of the border.
- Be careful! There can only be a maximum of 3 Clan cards on each side of the border.
- If you place a card behind another, shift it slightly so that the number of cards placed is visible.
- Remember that your goal is to create a stronger combination of cards than your opponent.
- Complete your hand by drawing a card.
Claiming a terminal
- Before claiming a boundary, make sure you have 3 Clan cards on either side of the boundary.
- You can claim a boundary after laying down a Clan card and before completing your hand.
- It is possible to claim a boundary even if your opponent has not yet placed 3 cards on the other side.
- To do so, you must prove that no matter which card(s) he plays, your combination cannot be beaten.
- To claim a marker, you must have a stronger combination than your opponent.
- In descending order, here are the combinations you can form:
|Type of combinations||Characteristic|
|Colour suite||3 cards of successive value and of the same suit.|
|Blanket||3 cards of the same value.|
|Colour||3 cards of the same suit.|
|Suite||3 cards of successive value.|
- If there is a tie, the highest sum of values wins.
- If there is still a tie, the first person to lay down their last clan card wins.
- Be careful! The order in which you lay down your cards does not matter.
- Once you have claimed the terminal, place the terminal tile under your winning combination.
End of the game
- 2 cases can end the game:
- A player claims 3 adjacent terminals.
- A player claims 5 terminals scattered along the border.
- You can also agree on a number of points to reach.
- The winner of a round scores 5 points.
- The opponent scores as many points as the number of markers he has.
- The player who reaches the predetermined point wins the game.
- Shuffle the tactical cards.
- Form a second deck and place it next to the first deck.
- Each player draws 7 Clan cards.
How do you play?
- You can choose to play a Clan card or a Tactical card.
- You can choose to draw either a Clan card or a Tactics card to complete your hand.
- Please note! You can only play one more Tactical card than your opponent.
Your opponent has played 1 Tactics card.
You have played 2.
You cannot play a third Tactics card until your player has played a third.
- There are three categories of Tactical cards:
- Elite Troops,
- Combat modes,
- These are played as a Clan card.
|Type of cards||Utility|
|Joker||You choose the value and colour when claiming the terminal.|
You choose the colour when claiming the terminal
|Shield holder||Value 1 2 3.|
You choose the colour when claiming the terminal.
- They are played on a terminal tile.
|Type of cards||Usefulness|
|Mud fight||To claim the terminal on which it is placed, there must be 4 cards on each side.|
|Blind man’s buff||To claim the terminal on which it is placed, add up the value of the cards.|
- Activate its effect and discard it.
|Type of cards||Utility|
|Headhunter||Draw 3 cards from one or both decks.|
Study your hand and drag the 2 cards you don’t like into their deck
|Strategist||Choose a card on your side of the border.|
You can either place it elsewhere or discard it.
|Banshee||Choose a card from the opposing side.|
|Traitor||Choose a Clan card from the opposing side.|
Place it in front of a terminal on your side of the border.
- Claiming a terminal is done at the beginning of the round.
- You must claim a terminal before playing your card.