Quarto is a game of strategy and tactics. It is played with 2 players, from 6 years old. Your objective will be to line up 4 pieces of the same characteristics.
Contents of the Game
- 1 game board
- 16 pieces with 4 different characteristics
Aim of the Game
- Announce “QUARTO” after aligning 4 pieces that have at least one characteristic in common.
- The characteristic can be:
– Shape (square or circular)
– Size (tall or short)
– Design (hollow or solid)
- Place the pieces next to the board.
- The first player is drawn randomly.
Keep in Mind
- Remember that you don’t get to choose your pieces.
- They are given to you by the player in front of you.
- The goal is to prevent your opponents from making a winning alignment.
Start of the Game
- The 1st player chooses a piece that they will give to the 2nd player.
- The 2nd player will place the piece on one of the spaces on the board and choose a new one.
- The new piece will then be given to the next player and so on.
- Pieces can be aligned vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
Winning the Game
- The first player to shout “QUARTO!” wins the game.
- To achieve a QUARTO, the player must place the last piece that will form the winning alignment.
- If the player does not see their QUARTO, two things are possible:
– If the next player sees the QUARTO, they can announce it and show it.
– If no one sees the QUARTO, the game continues and it loses its value.
- It is possible to place a piece to block a QUARTO.
Variations of the Game
- Instead of 4 pieces, win with an alignment of 3 pieces with a common characteristic.
- Instead of a line, win by forming a square with 4 pieces with similar characteristics.
Educative sheet in PDF
Explore the educative sheet of Quarto in PDF.