Do you want to be the moderator during a game of The Werewolves of Millers Hollow? Well, here are some tips to help you ensure that the game has a great atmosphere.
Selecting the Moderator
Before starting the game, the players must decide upon or randomly choose a moderator.
The moderator will be responsible for distributing the cards, telling the story, calling on all the different characters in the game, launching the debates, and carrying out the votes.
The moderator plays a very important, even fundamental role throughout the game. They must be a person who knows the game rules well in order to create the best atmosphere possible.
Sample Narration for the First Day
“Everyone, secretly look at your cards to find out your roles.”
“Now you can start discussing which one of you should become the sheriff.”
“It’s time for the election. On three, You all have to point at the person you want to become sheriff. One, two, three.”
“X is the sheriff.”
Sample Narration for the First Night
“The night is upon us. The villagers close their eyes to fall asleep.”
If the thief card is used: “The thief can swap their card for one of the two cards at the center of the table.”
“Cupid, one by one, touch the two people who you want to fall in love with one another. You can now go back to sleep, Cupid.”
“The two people Cupid has touched, wake up and look at each other. You may go back to sleep now.”
“Werewolves, wake up. Choose a person you want to kill. Place a card in front of them. Now go back to sleep.”
“Seer, wake up and look at who got murdered. Decide if you want to resurrect them and if you want to kill another person. You can go back to sleep now, seer.”
Sample Narration for the Second Day”The village wakes up to find that x has been murdered.”
“X, turn over your card to reveal your role.” “It’s time to decide who should be executed for this crime. Everyone who’s still alive has 2 minutes to debate.”
“On three, you all will point at the person you want to be executed. One, two, three. With three votes against them, y was executed then and there.”
“Y, reveal your card.”
“The village goes back to sleep.”
A Few Tips for the Moderator
Here are some tips that can help the moderator during the course of the game:
- Don’t be afraid to show your storytelling skills.
- Try to build a surreal atmosphere between players.
- Build up suspense and an atmosphere of angst when announcing murders and executions.
- Create your own phrases when you call on the different characters, especially when you start feeling comfortable as the moderator.
- Do not hesitate to make jokes.
Tips to Make Sure the Game is Fair
- Make sure not to give away any clues as to the identity of any character. For example, make sure to use “they” instead of “he” or “she” when referring to a player so you wouldn’t give away hints regarding their identity.
- If the moderator is a player in the game, they must not open their eyes at night.
- Don’t rush the players into performing their actions during the night. Give them enough time.
- The cupid should touch the lovers by standing up and going around the table so that the lovers wouldn’t have a clue which player touched them.