To play RISK, you need between 2 and 6 players, and be at least 10 years old. It is a game of conquest and control of territory. For the original version, you need at least 3 players.
Table of Contents Unshow
The Objective of the Game
In the original version, your objective will be to eliminate all your opponents in order to control all the territories.
Contents of the Game
- 1 game board representing the map of the world, divided into 42 territories.
- A deck of 44 RISK cards including 2 jokers.
- 14 mission cards.
- 5 dice: including 3 red Attack dice and 2 blue Defense dice.
- 6 armies of different colors.
Setting Up the Game
- Each player chooses a color and its corresponding army.
- An army is made up of 40 infantry, 12 cavalry and 8 artillery.
- The number of players determines the number of “armies” in play:
|Number of players||Number of infantry per player|
- To limit the number of objects on the board, you can exchange the infantry for a cavalryman or a cannon.
|1 infantry||1 army|
|1 cavalryman||5 armies|
|1 cannon||10 armies|
Starting the Game
- Every player must roll the dice.
- The player with the highest number starts by placing 1 army in any territory on the board.
- Continue clockwise until all 42 territories are occupied.
- Each player will, in turn, place a second army on a territory they already occupy.
- Continue until all the armies are placed.
- The number of armies that can occupy a territory is not limited.
- Shuffle the RISK cards and place the pile next to the board.
- The player who had the highest dice roll is the first player to draw.
How to Play a Round
A turn takes place over 3 steps:
- Placing new infantries on the board.
- The attack.
- Fortifying your position.
Placing New Infantries
- The number of infantries you can place on one of your territories is calculated by dividing the number of occupied territories by 3.
- If at the start of your turn your army occupies an entire continent, you may place additional armies.
|Continent||Number of armies|
- Trading RISK cards against additional armies.
The Course of an Attack
- An attack is optional.
- It is only possible if you:
– Attack a territory adjacent to yours.
– Attack a territory linked to yours by a dotted line.
– Have at least 2 armies from the territory where you are attacking.
- You can attack until the entire army of the territory is decimated.
- You can attack as many territories as you want.
- The attacker must announce which territory they are attacking and from which territory.
- Both parties must announce the number of dice they intend to roll.
- The attacker must have at least 1 army more than the number of red dice they intend to roll.
- To roll 2 blue dice, the attacker must have at least 2 armies.
- Compare the dice with the highest points. This applies even when rolling more than one die.
- If the attacker’s die is higher, the attacked territory loses an army.
- If the attacker’s die is less than or equal to the defender’s die ‘s, they lose an army.
- After an attack, your troops return to their territory.
- If your troops manage to occupy an enemy territory, they must move there, but leave at least 1 army behind.
How to Fortify Your Territory
- You can move as many armies as you want to any of your territories.
- To move armies, they must be in an adjacent territory.
- If at the end of a turn you manage to capture a territory, you will be entitled to 1 RISK card.
- If the RISK card obtained corresponds to a territory that you already occupy, you gain 2 additional armies.
- The objective is to collect a combination of:
– 3 cards with the same symbol. (Example: 3 infantry, 3 cavalry, 3 artillery)
– 3 cards with different symbols. (Example: 1 infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 artillery)
– 2 cards and a joker.
Exchanging a Combination
- The combination can be exchanged for armies during the fortifying phase.
|Card Combination||Armies obtained|
|3 infantry||1 army|
|3 cavalry||6 armies|
|3 artillery||8 armies|
|3 cards of each symbol||10 armies|
- The exchanged cards will be placed under the draw pile.
Winning the Game
- The player who manages to occupy all 42 territories wins the game.
Rules of Other Variations
- The exchanged cards are placed at the edge of the board, starting from the 4 mark, which will serve as a reference for the number of armies won.
- Beyond the 6th card placed, the player will receive 5 armies more than the previous one.
- The armies obtained can only be placed in the corresponding territory.
- You must have at least 3 cards to be able to exchange them.
- When you decimate an opponent’s army, you take all of their RISK cards.
- When having 5 cards in hand, you must make a trade.
- Each player draws a mission card at the start of the game. Completing their mission wins them the game.
- If you have used all your infantries, you can use ones of a color that is not in use.
- You can exchange your infantry for cavalry or artillery.
Official rules in PDF
Explore the official Risk rule in PDF.