To play RISK, you need between 2 and 6 players, and be at least 10 years old. It is a game of conquest and control of territory. For the original version, you need at least 3 players.
The Objective of the Game
In the original version, your objective will be to eliminate all your opponents in order to control all the territories.
Contents of the Game
- 1 game board representing the map of the world, divided into 42 territories.
- A deck of 44 RISK cards including 2 jokers.
- 14 mission cards.
- 5 dice: including 3 red Attack dice and 2 blue Defense dice.
- 6 armies of different colors.
Setting Up the Game
- Each player chooses a color and its corresponding army.
- An army is made up of 40 infantry, 12 cavalry and 8 artillery.
- The number of players determines the number of “armies” in play:
|Number of players||Number of infantry per player|
- To limit the number of objects on the board, you can exchange the infantry for a cavalryman or a cannon.
|1 infantry||1 army|
|1 cavalryman||5 armies|
|1 cannon||10 armies|
Starting the Game
- Every player must roll the dice.
- The player with the highest number starts by placing 1 army in any territory on the board.
- Continue clockwise until all 42 territories are occupied.
- Each player will, in turn, place a second army on a territory they already occupy.
- Continue until all the armies are placed.
- The number of armies that can occupy a territory is not limited.
- Shuffle the RISK cards and place the pile next to the board.
- The player who had the highest dice roll is the first player to draw.
How to Play a Round
A turn takes place over 3 steps:
- Placing new infantries on the board.
- The attack.
- Fortifying your position.
Placing New Infantries
- The number of infantries you can place on one of your territories is calculated by dividing the number of occupied territories by 3.
- If at the start of your turn your army occupies an entire continent, you may place additional armies.
|Continent||Number of armies|
- Trading RISK cards against additional armies.
The Course of an Attack
- An attack is optional.
- It is only possible if you:
– Attack a territory adjacent to yours.
– Attack a territory linked to yours by a dotted line.
– Have at least 2 armies from the territory where you are attacking.
- You can attack until the entire army of the territory is decimated.
- You can attack as many territories as you want.
- The attacker must announce which territory they are attacking and from which territory.
- Both parties must announce the number of dice they intend to roll.
- The attacker must have at least 1 army more than the number of red dice they intend to roll.
- To roll 2 blue dice, the attacker must have at least 2 armies.
- Compare the dice with the highest points. This applies even when rolling more than one die.
- If the attacker’s die is higher, the attacked territory loses an army.
- If the attacker’s die is less than or equal to the defender’s die ‘s, they lose an army.
- After an attack, your troops return to their territory.
- If your troops manage to occupy an enemy territory, they must move there, but leave at least 1 army behind.
How to Fortify Your Territory
- You can move as many armies as you want to any of your territories.
- To move armies, they must be in an adjacent territory.
- If at the end of a turn you manage to capture a territory, you will be entitled to 1 RISK card.
- If the RISK card obtained corresponds to a territory that you already occupy, you gain 2 additional armies.
- The objective is to collect a combination of:
– 3 cards with the same symbol. (Example: 3 infantry, 3 cavalry, 3 artillery)
– 3 cards with different symbols. (Example: 1 infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 artillery)
– 2 cards and a joker.
Exchanging a Combination
- The combination can be exchanged for armies during the fortifying phase.
|Card Combination||Armies obtained|
|3 infantry||1 army|
|3 cavalry||6 armies|
|3 artillery||8 armies|
|3 cards of each symbol||10 armies|
- The exchanged cards will be placed under the draw pile.
Winning the Game
- The player who manages to occupy all 42 territories wins the game.
Rules of Other Variations
- The exchanged cards are placed at the edge of the board, starting from the 4 mark, which will serve as a reference for the number of armies won.
- Beyond the 6th card placed, the player will receive 5 armies more than the previous one.
- The armies obtained can only be placed in the corresponding territory.
- You must have at least 3 cards to be able to exchange them.
- When you decimate an opponent’s army, you take all of their RISK cards.
- When having 5 cards in hand, you must make a trade.
- Each player draws a mission card at the start of the game. Completing their mission wins them the game.
- If you have used all your infantries, you can use ones of a color that is not in use.
- You can exchange your infantry for cavalry or artillery.
Official rules in PDF
Explore the official Risk rule in PDF.