Dobble has 55 cards and is played with 2 to 8 players.
There are different ways to play Dobble. Before the game, the players could decide either:
- The deck of cards is placed in the center of the table and each player takes one card at the start of the game.
- The top card of the center pile is turned face up.
- At the starting signal, the players turn their cards face up.
- Each player must then find the symbol in common between their card and the top card of the center pile as quickly as possible.
- As soon as one of the players finds the matching symbol they announce it by naming that symbol, they then collect the card on top of the center pile and put it on top of their own pile.
- If 2 players announce a symbol at seemingly the same time, the players have to determine who started naming their symbol first.
- If a player makes an error by announcing a non-matching symbol, then they cannot collect the card on top of the center pile and have to wait until someone else takes it. They resume playing when a new card is revealed.
- You can also decide before the game that if a player makes an error then they lose their card and it gets placed in the center pile.
- The players continue in this manner until the center pile is exhausted.
End of the Game
- When there are no more cards in the center pile, the player with the most cards wins the game.
- Dobble can be played in several rounds and either:
- Players add up the points gained in each round. The objective is to be the first player to reach or exceed a certain score (50 or 100, for example).
- Players add up the number of rounds won. The objective is then to win the most rounds.
Here we’ll be describing two variations of how to play Dobble.
- All the cards are dealt equally to all the players at the start of the game.
- Players must try to find a common symbol between the top card of their pile and the top card of an opponent’s pile. When they find the matching symbol they announce it and collect the opponent’s card and place it face up on the top of their pile.
- The game ends when a player manages to collect all the cards, that player is the winner.
- All the cards are dealt to the players except one. That last card remains in the center of the table and is turned face up.
- At the starting signal, the players turn their cards face up and each player tries to find the matching symbol between the card on top of their pile and the card in the center.
- When a player finds the matching symbol and announces it, they place their top card on top of the pile and players now have to find the matching symbol between their cards and the card that’s just been placed on top of the center pile.
- The game continues in this manner until a player manages to get rid of all of their cards. The first player to do so wins the game.